Founded in 1976, Abdulai, Taiwo & Co. is a full
service commercial and IP law firm with a long-standing reputation for
excellence. The firm’s integrated practice enhances its capability to
provide multi-faceted legal advice and due diligence services, and it
has “preferred friend” relationships with leading firms across West
Africa, which facilitates seamless cross-border services.
The firm has a broad experience in advising international clients which puts it in a vantage position to identify and address usual areas of concern and expectations. Its international client base includes companies consistently listed in the top echelon of “Fortune 500”. The firm is regularly consulted on Nigerian business regulatory issues by law firms and counsel from all over the world, and is author of several leading books on the Nigeria business regulatory regime.
The firm’s tradition for excellence spans about four decades (in itself a rarity for law firm partnerships to thrive that long in Nigeria), and it’s portfolio of recent and on-going transactions, reflect the consistent and steady gait of the firm.
• Lead Counsel on numerous
significant pioneer transactions in Nigeria.
• Series 1, 2 and 3 of FGN Guaranteed Notes Under the FMBN SPV Issuer NGN100 Billion Residential
Mortgage-Backed Securities Programme – the first and only RMBS Securitisation concluded in Nigeria
• Pioneer series of Unit Trusts (Mutual Funds) capital market transactions in Nigeria;
• The first company listing on the 2nd Tier of Nigerian Stock Exchange.
• Pioneer series of Federal and State Government Water Sector PPP Concessions in Nigeria;
• The first Federal Govt. company privatization with concurrent listing of shares on the Exchange.
• Mandated Counsel for start-up establishment of key national institutions and companies
• Abuja Commodities Exchange Plc;
• Nigeria Inter-Banks’ Settlement Plc
• Investment & Securities Act, (guiding all securities & capital market transactions).
• Equipment Leasing Association of Nigeria Ltd. Gte.
• Mandated Consultants to the Nigerian Investment Promotion Commission (NIPC) for the compilation
and publication of the original edition of the handbook titled “Investors’ Guide to Nigeria” which has
become the nation’s official marketing document to investors.
• Author of several leading books on Nigeria business regulatory issues, including:
• “Establishing a Business in Nigeria” ISBN 978 30065 17;
• “Registration & Regulation of Foreign Investments & Enterprises” ISBN 978 30065 76;
• NIGERIA country chapter of international compendium “Legal Aspects of Doing Business in Africa”;
ISBN 90 6544 932 9 published by Yorkhill Law Publishers;
• NIGERIA country chapter of international compendium “Corporate Acquisitions and Mergers”
ISBN 1-85 333-832-X; published by Kluwer Law International;
• NIGERIA country report of international compendium
“IP Client Strategies in the Middle East and Africa” ISBN 978-0-314-90728-8, published by Thomson
• NIGERIA country chapter of international compendium titled “International Corporate Law”
ISBN 1-58762-221-1 published by Thomson Reuters/Aspatore Books,
• NIGERIA country chapter of “The Intellectual Property Review”
ISBN 978-1-909830-04-2 published by Law Business Research Ltd.
• Links to League Tables
• “IFLR:1000 – The Guide to the World’s Leading Financial Law Firms” years 2000-2015.
• “Chambers Global-Guide to the World’s Leading Lawyers for Business” years 2005-2015
• “Legal 500 (EMEA)” years 2005-2015 www.legal500.com
• “Who’s who Legal Nigeria” years 2009-2015 www.who’swholegal.com
• 2013 Winner “African Quality Service Award for Corporate Legal Practice”, in the African
Governance and Corporate, Leadership Awards by the Institute For Government Research & Leadership
Technology. institute for government research.org/Awards.html
• Legal Comprehensive.com – 2013 Golden Global Awards “M&A Law Firm of the Year – Nigeria”
• Legal Comprehensive.com - 2014 Golden Global Awards
“Project Finance Law Firm of the Year – Nigeria”
• World Finance – Legal Awards 2013
• LegalsFinest, year 2014 – “Trademarks – Nigeria”
LANGUAGE OF COMMUNICATION
English (excellent in speaking, reading and writing by all members)